On sale are 10 lovely pendants/necklaces with a budded cross design, that is carved from genuine olive wood (see below for information on olive wood.)
They are approx. 2.5 cm x 3.5 cm 1 " x 1.4"
Each comes with a certificate of authenticity that it is from genuine olive wood from the Holy Land.
What is a Budded Cross?
A budded cross is a stylised cross, that is common in heraldry as well as in Christian iconography.
This budded cross (also known as an Apostle’s Cross, Cathedral Cross , Disciple’s Cross, Treflee Cross and a Trefoil Cross) has three buds on each of the arms of the cross.
The buds have many meanings and can symbolize different things:
1) Each of the buds symbolizes one of the twelve Apostles.
2) The three buds together symbolize the trinity.
3) It represents Aaron's Staff that budded (Numbers 17 v 8) when placed in the Ark of the Covenant.
4) It can also represent the buds of a flower, thereby representing a journey of growth in faith, like flowers that have not yet bloomed.
5) The three buds are reminiscence of 1 Corinthians 13: ''Faith, Hope, Love; The greatest of these is love.''
Such a cross, either with or without a corpus, is often used as an identification mark on signboards and maps for a cathedral, hence it is also named a Cathedral Cross.
Olive wood items make perfect gifts. Not only are they imbued with spirituality, they also do not require much care since olive oil is naturally protecting them from corrosion and changes of color.